Thursday, August 9, 2007

Have you had yours yet?


Vacation that is... I haven't had one in years. Literally it's been years. So many I can't tell you when I last took one. And I'm starting to experience a meltdown.

It's amazing to me how many different folks have approached me over the last couple of weeks and asked why it always seems that I'm at church. Well the simple answer is because I am, I have to be there for something or other. For example in July we had Vacation Bible School week with more than 200 kids, and followed the next week with hosting the National Association of Filipino American United Methodists convocation. Add to that all the usual things like weddings, funerals, weekly services, and helping to cover for the Sr. Pastor who's on vacation in Ecuador (I know, right?) for a couple of weeks.

I looked at the Sr. Pastor this week and told him that folks were telling me I needed to take a break for awhile. He said it was ok with him, but he still expected everything I'm responsible for to still get done. Being a part-time employee who has no help with my job area I'm curious as to how that's gonna happen if I do take a week off. But I don't think even he's aware of everything I do. I'm working in a job/ministry that's budgeted for 20 hours a week. I'm currently putting in 25-30 hours to get my work done (without compensation), often more as I'm asked to go "above and beyond," and the Staff Parish Committee, who's aware of my extra time, have not done anything to increase the hours of the position. No wonder pastoring is one of the most burn out producing jobs in the world today.

Am I complaining? Maybe a little... but I do wish that I was at least receiving something (comp time, whatever) for the extra stuff I do. But mostly I'd like to be able to take a week or so and not have to worry about what's not being handled when I was away.

And the autumn season (meteorology speaking) starts in less than a month. At least I'll get to watch college football again... even if it isn't the Buckeyes.

Maranatha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home