Thursday, August 26, 2010

Waiting

It's amazing what God can teach you while you wait.

I have been in a "wait and see" mode for the past several weeks. The background of this story is as follows...
I received a phone call from an old friend about 3 and a half weeks ago. He and I had done a national tour of "Fiddler on the Roof" in 1998-99, and he's taking another tour of the same show out this fall. He said that they were having trouble finding someone to play the same role and function as his understudy (the lead role) which I had done before. I hadn't even thought of going back on the road as I've been working on a church staff for the past 5+ years. But John said that his wife was dealing with pancreatic cancer and that he needed someone who was capable to step on for him in a moments notice if needed. After much thought, and prayer, I finally told John a few days later that I'd do this if the producers could meet my requirements to drop everything and go.

And then the waiting started.

After many additional phone calls, the sending of pictures, resumes, and a DVD of me performing to the director, I finally spoke with the producers and they agreed to what I needed, BUT, there was a final audition pending in NYC and they were going to see who showed for that. Long story short- they told me yesterday (Wednesday) that they decided to "go in a different direction," but that if something were to happen while they are on the road they may call me to step in.

It's funny, I told everyone I work with, and the congregation I lead, that this was completely in God's hands and that I'd be fine with whatever happened. Yet when I got the word that I wasn't going to NYC for rehearsals next week I have to admit that I felt a bit let down. Waiting after all of that to be told no isn't easy. But I have to say that waiting is God's way of showing you who's in charge.

Have you ever wondered why God hasn't answered a certain prayer? Why it seems that he isn't even listening? Perhaps he's teaching you something during that time of waiting. If you're smart you'll pay attention and learn that you're not in charge as you thought.

And that's a good thing.

Maranatha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home