Sunday, January 31, 2010

An Unexpected Sabbath

Saturday morning I awoke to the ground covered in white, with lots more falling from the sky. The long promised snow storm had actually arrived in Virginia Beach, and we were looking at a day like I hadn't seen in years. Throughout the day we watched the snow fall covering the ground in a blanket of pure white, making everything look clean and pretty. Our Sr. Pastor called me a couple of times to discuss Sunday morning worship- would we be able to meet for all 3 services? Might we cancel the early one and have the other 2? Perhaps only meet for the 11:00? When all was said and done the decision was made to not hold worship services at all, and I was suddenly without anyplace I had to be on Sunday morning. What resulted in an unexpected Sabbath.

Now you might be thinking, wait a minute... he already was going to be celebrating a "Sabbath" at worship services. What does he mean he got an "unexpected" one? Simple, when I'm at church on Sunday morning I'm working. My time for a Sabbath isn't happening at church as it may for many other people. A time for rest and reflection. A time to concentrate on all that God has done for me, and to thank Him for His many blessings. My Sunday morning isn't always (isn't usually) like that. I'm running around, trying to insure that everything is ready for other people to experience a Sabbath, but not so much for me.

So today has been a blessing I wasn't looking for. A time to rest. I feel so much better having had this day to relax, not have to worry about anything, not run around putting out "fires." An unexpected Sabbath. And I'm ever so thankful that God allowed us to see His beauty in the snowfall, and to let us enjoy it without other stuff getting in the way.

Maranatha.

1 Comments:

At January 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like your reflections. It has been an unexpected time for catching up on things and feeling less stress. Blessings on ya WorshipLeader. PastahD

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home